An article I read recently from the Wall Street Journal focused on the issues that stemmed from not listening well to others and some tips on how to address.
1. For an important conversation – write a list of things you want to say and questions to ask
2. Before a conversation with someone, take a piece of paper and brain dump your thoughts
3. During a conversation ask clarifying questions such as “What do you need from me right now?”
4. Take notes or make eye contact
5. Set a talk to listen ration of 25%:75%
6. Use an acronym like RASA R: Receive by paying attention A: Appreciate by making little noises S: Summarizing what the person says and A: Asking questions afterwards
Link to the article here: http://online.wsj.com/articles/tuning-in-how-to-listen-better-1406070727